when you slam the door.

you use the term best friends
but the only best in this friendship
is the anxiety that's getting the best of me.

the rest of it is just yesterday's tears
laid out to dry on tomorrow's homework.

you cure yourself by creating problems,
a temper so hot it could curl my hair.
demons on the sidelines,
ready to challenge whatever play your eyes might miss.

I am not a switch you flick on and off when the mood changes.

I am not here to question your tears
and lean a shoulder in when I catch your eyes water.

I'm not even here to write.


I'm here for blank pages and James' criticism,
where we swear in our secrets and eye contact has more meaning
than our locked fingers ever could.

I'm here to lock fingers with him and him and
her idea and those words.

I'm here to edit his paper and her grammar,
correcting all the mistakes that body language couldn't mend.

I'm here because my money is on this bed and this room,
but I didn't sign up to be shot down,
and my money is not on the quiet 9:00's,
and the crying 8:00's,
and the curfew that your happiness holds strong to.

I do not pay for your constant complaints
and the compliments that get lost on the way in.

I am not shelling out my bought hours
for the tears and the turmoil you're spending on me.

There is nothing best about this.

And I would call this colorless,
but it's written in a blood too bold
to be overlooked.

I know you're watching closely.

And I know you can hear me.

Scars don't scream like situations do,
so stop turning your head when the cuts ensue,
and stop pretending
like smiling is a sin
and laughter is a luxury you're not allowed into.

Stop pretending
like
we're
made
to
be
unhappy.


We're not.



We're not.



6 comments:

  1. this is straight up fire. The letters are the kindling, but the words that they make are the flame. Mmm mmm good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing. Those last few stanzas really got me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is everything. Beautiful. I wrote today, but I feel like this post more accurately describes how I feel then my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is everything. Beautiful. I wrote today, but I feel like this post more accurately describes how I feel then my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Stop pretending like we're made to be unhappy. We're not. We're not."

    SO GOOD

    ReplyDelete