requiem to sad history.

You don't listen until your eyes do.
You're analyzing paper words and wire lines
but you aren't listening 
until it's screaming at you from these electric pages.

I can hear your heartbeat through cyberspace.
An ex-best-friend that never left on bad terms,
but never came on good ones.

Your petty silence.

I'm so glad I left this town,
even though I dropped my poems on your doorsteps
when you couldn't even make it to mine before I left.

I was alone 
the night before I left.

And she'll roll her eyes at this,
but she rolls her eyes around anything with a heart and hands:
raw love, 
feelings, 
throaty goodbyes.


She rolls her eyes when I talk too loud,
but I'm not crying wolf to the girls who won't listen
until it's screaming at them
from this electric page.

Those who pull a curtain of pretty hair
between anything with a broken heart
and wet eyes
(and pretend that it's blocking out the sound).

Too good at walking out of beating hearts.
The best at making silence and mourning nothing.

I'm so glad I left this town
with you in it.


I tried to die once,
eighteen years deep,
surrounded by pavement screams and birthday candles.

I had too many friends
and none who cared,
so I prayed for a birthday party
in all-black with broken shoulders and a bad goodbye letter.

You probably didn't know about that.

You probably didn't know about the mercy prayers,
the "take-me" prayers,
the December 12 facedown-on-the-pavement prayers
when it rained
and I begged for heaven to rip my soul from my body.

I wasn't brave enough to do it.

I wasn't scared enough to leave.

But now it's nailing every corner of this paper town,
so do you believe me now?


You probably would have stopped rolling your eyes,
if I had stopped breathing.

But you would have heard my cries like a hailstorm
if I'd taken my last breaths
on this electric page.

I know how it goes.

I know how you go.

I watch you go every day.


My body was soaked in gasoline
and my soul had matches for fingers,
but by the time I told you about my heart,
all you watched me with
was your eyes.

You rolled your eyes.

You always do.

So I'm glad I left you behind,
after being left behind.

Maybe that stone heart would have started beating,
if mine had stopped.

But I won't do it.


You're a sorry piece of sad history,
that I'm leaving behind in this halfway town,
along with the nights I quit breathing,
and the mornings that almost weren't.

And you,
the biggest tragedy 
of them all.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realest shit youve ever written. I felt this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Realest shit youve ever written. I felt this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouch. there was such power of words in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rolled your eyes.

    This line just kept hitting me. Hard.

    ReplyDelete