4/22 lagoon day

My brother made my cry today.

It wasn't a hefty cry,
just one of those inadequacy cries where every word you don't say
feels like whipping wet towels across tender skin.

And you're 
silent
silent
silent
until the sound of your fork and knife against the hardwood mixed with
shattered plates and barbecue chicken all over your socks
that just looks like a blur of orange
because you tripped as you left the room,
silent
silent.


He said I looked stupid with the hat on.

Then my other brother said it.

My mom laughed a little and that's when the glass hit the footsteps
and I ditched the ice maker for a closet full of things
that aren't even mine.

Since technically I'm just a guest here.

Because inadequacy is the delicious temper that competes with your silence.
It's the sound of concrete cracking against your skull
and it's the bitterness you feel in your old favorite songs.

Why are humans so judgmental, mama?

Why did you stand by while your sons cornered your oldest daughter
who has one week left before the boxes block the doorway
and it's no longer a lock that keeps all of you out?

And why did you just beckon for him to apologize?
He didn't.

He's not sorry anyway.

because he's a sophomore with a skewered head who literally believes
"baseball players are the smartest athletes" and everyone thinks
his hair and his judgment and his smile
are just attributes to the tall-dark frame of human
and they remind me how unrelated we look
"because he's beautiful"
so what does that make me?


I got enough people reminding the sunken, fluorescent girl that she wasn't any different
and I'm not insecure
and I'm fine with myself
but I wasn't then.

You all see the tender eyes and good vibes
the way he walks next to girls with the brim of his hat just over his brow

he used to wear hats every day
until someone complimented his hair.

And his head swelled
and he watched his sister bleed out on the pavement
without calling the police
HE LEFT ME ON THE SIDEWALK, ALONE, BLEEDING EVERYWHERE.

And they still called him beautiful
while months of early mornings that felt like broken femurs,
when he screamed profanities at me and ripped the ponytail from the head

while I bled 
and bled 
and bled.


You see the scrawny boy with an even temper
and gloss smile
and the jerseys he sleeps on
and the sweatshirts he hit me for wearing.


But you don't see the boy who took the car keys
who screamed for his sister to stop the car
but it was too late.

You didn't watch him stumble backwards when she dropped her head against the wheel
and watched the blood roll from her face to the tar
and you didn't watch him leave her there
alone
bleeding
bleeding
crying

He didn't even say goodbye.

So I won't say goodbye.

I won't.


6 comments:

  1. I got the chills an they won't go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me want to cry, and I just want to let you know that you are amazing. You're an incredible writer, Addison, and I hope you never stop. Beautiful and heart wrenching.

    ReplyDelete