sidewalk-ers, etc.

I've never liked the boys that take the sidewalk.

I liked grass-cutters and fastest-way-there types of people,
whose shoes matched their personality.

Collars and speeding tickets and conversations that moved too fast for physics,
boys whose eyes ask for the next big thing.

I've never liked boys that stayed on sidewalks.


I wanted nail-biters,
and drug-inducing lovers who use words as their needles,
who's love was in a classroom
and that classroom was on the other side of the world
and they were late.

I wanted shortcut-lovers until I got lost on the way to one.


I thought sidewalk-ers slowed the journey,
boys who paced on the longest route;

I thought they preferred gravel to fresh dirt,
because energy couldn't be wasted on new boundaries.

I thought they were scared of getting their feet dirty.

I've never liked boys that take the sidewalk

because I was wrong about them.


Sidewalkers are the long-conversation-lovers,
they take the scenic route
and spend their creativity on mountain ranges
and flower types.

They find love along the cement lines,
take easy paces on their walks so they can ask you all the questions their eyes are asking.

Sidewalkers kiss slowly,
deeply,
counting the atoms of your skin,
breathing deep because the seconds don't spoil the story.

They unravel you,
like delicate paper,
to preserve every word and every fraction of your value.

I never liked them
because they were lovers.




I never liked boys that took the sidewalk
because I never stopped to ask why.


9 comments:

  1. "I wanted nail-biters,

    and drug-inducing lovers who use words as their needles,

    who's love was in a classroom

    and that classroom was on the other side of the world

    and they were late.




    I wanted shortcut-lovers until I got lost on the way to one."

    "I've never liked boys that take the sidewalk
    because I was wrong about them."

    "I never liked them
    because they were lovers."

    "I never liked boys that took the sidewalk
    because I never stopped to ask why."

    This whole post. At a loss for words.

    PS I sent you a message on FB. Lol I didn't know how else to get ahold of you. But we definitely should have studied for this test together. :) Uh blogs are so public, so I will message you my number on FB. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah. you. this. ah.

    "Sidewalkers are the long-conversation-lovers,
    they take the scenic route
    and spend their creativity on mountain ranges
    and flower types."

    ah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidewalkers are the long-conversation-lovers,
    they take the scenic route
    and spend their creativity on mountain ranges
    and flower types.

    They find love along the cement lines,
    take easy paces on their walks so they can ask you all the questions their eyes are asking.

    Mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm behind in telling you this but, mr. nelson showed us your blog and i can't even tell you how much i enjoy it.
    you are such a talented writer and i hope to be half the writer you are someday.
    please never stop writing cause your words are worth being heard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was incredible. INCREDIBLE. I can't even tell you how much I loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. college = boys
    boys = great
    this post = better than boys

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this post because even though I get that you were writing about boys, you accidentally totally just summed me up in a post in way more romantic a way than I ever thought I could feel was describing me.
    I dunno, just if you see a girl with pink hair darting across the quad, it's totally me (whoops, I found out we go to the same university, it's fine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go to Utah State? Me too! I know my posts have gotten really scary lately, but I still worship you.

      Delete