valentine's day

If Valentine's Day means a flowerless lunch period swarmed by matchy sweaters and soft-haired girls with their slender hands in the chocolate boxes, then you're doing it perfectly right.

They say it's for the lovers. 




But I think it's for the loveless.

It's not for the whipped boyfriends or the Glenn Coco's or the Student Council boys in their black ties trying to make the "sad" girls feel better.  Thanks for the gesture, but I don't need a pity rose.  

Although, it does feel good to get a rose.

But all you bitter humans need to stop.  All you fresh ex-girlfriends and cheated lovers need to cut the funeral mourning.  Let the spellbound people scatter red petals all over the lunchroom picnic.  Endure that 7th grade pop music and that group of collared boys showering some girl with all the chocolate and attention she doesn't need.  

Quit popping their balloons and spitting in their bouquets.  



You're not happy being single? You're not satisfied with the kiss-freely theory, and reading without eyes on you, and humming to yourself? You would trade your own unaffected opinion for panicky texts and obligated hand-holds? And all within 18 years of life.

Valentine's Day. I like that.

I'm buying myself sushi and seeing Endless Love amidst the throng of couples in their love-comas. On my own time.

Hallelujah.

22 comments:

  1. Love it. Still a fan. But oh my goodness where did your other post go...it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy about this. I will be at Endless love as well. Sorry us fresh-ex girlfriends are so bitter. But this post is stunning. And definitely a different take than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing I loved it! That's totally how I feel, but mine is goin' be ice cream ;) You are an amazing writer, I wish i could convey and display things with words like you do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing I loved it! That's totally how I feel, but mine is goin' be ice cream ;) You are an amazing writer, I wish i could convey and display things with words like you do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one made me laugh, thanks for a fresh perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've hated valentines day ever since second grade when I walked home early from school on accident and everyone thought I had been kidnapped so I feel ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but I'm only commenting because the Glen Coco line made me laugh harder than it should.
    "None for Gretchen Weiners, bye."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love this. Definitely a fan of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roommate is asleep so rapchat will be postponed till sunrise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. k if you don't do this soon I'm gonna be forced to send you one

      Delete
  11. Just came accross your blog and I'm sure you've heard it a million times but your blog is a dream. Blog goals in every way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was unreal. wish i could hear you read it aloud tbh. but this is the next best thing. and your blog is perfect.

    ReplyDelete