this

you told me you were a shell to crack,
but most eggs break easy;
you're more of the titanium type, 
but I thought I had more time to solve you.

you like me better in restaurant corners, post-drink, treating the waiter well and sharing food across wood tables.

you like me better when he isn't there.
when she isn't there.

nobody's ever made eye contact with as much meaning,
and you said I had a lot of meaning.

and I wouldn't mind being your right hand,
but at least let me know where the key to your skull is,
and be less afraid of love lyrics.



you think this is for the fearless,
but this is for anyone with eyes and a mouth,
(even if they don't work).

this is pinky-swears and leaving parties early,
after hour conversations that are longer than our nails,
and it's about biting our nails and breaking down walls.

and I won't tell you it's poetic or promising 
and I won't tell you it's melodic or organic.

but it makes wednesday's less like wednesday's.

tears get shed,
later hours make for misstepped words,
arguments are inevitable,
not everything is political,
but not everything is a daydream.

yet even with our bent flaws,
time is medicine,
and shoulders are abundant
and conversations have wings.



you should be afraid.

but you shouldn't let that stop you.

so unscrew your intensity,
take a few breaths and extend a few arms,
because people are more important than worried looks.

lyrics should upset you,
and souls should be louder than the butterflies you feel
when your lungs and your tongue tie together
and make feelings impossible.

feelings are possible.

this is possible.

this is all possible.

and I will knock on your soul until you untie your tongue
and your steel snaps,
because despite what you think about love,
(or whatever this could be, if you let it)

it's worth a shot.

5 comments:

  1. Lyrics should upset you and souls should be loud. Again, Adz. Beautiful and not in the least cliché.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and souls should be louder than the butterflies you feel

    Rt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey so AFHS Poetry club and LP creative writing are doing a Summer Slam open mic on August 12th, at 9pm at 746 N 730 E American Fork and we would absolutely love it if you came! You can share a poem or just listen or whatever. It's going to be super cool and a lot of great poets are coming. Savanna Jones will probably get on here soon and attest that it's gonna be cool and that I'm not a crazy person since you don't know me. You are completely welcome to bring anyone with you, especially other writers! That's all, hope you can come!

    You can email me with any questions: emmaheath97@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I might be out of town that day, but I'll definitely check and count me in for now (I might not read, though, since I'm terrified). But thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love your blog:) there's something incredible about your writing.
    "you should be afraid.

    but you shouldn't let that stop you.

    so unscrew your intensity,
    take a few breaths and extend a few arms,
    because people are more important than worried looks."
    Loved this.

    ReplyDelete