if you're reading this.

your voice goes up an octave when you're lying.

octaves.

you learned how to play the piano within 5 minutes and it took me 17 years.  

but you play because your heart wants you to,
not your mother
or your hands.

you have the notes of my favorite song on the back of your eyelids
and the only thing that's wrong is your rhythm.

but who cares.
it's my favorite song.

and my hands are covered in notes
as black and white as the keyboard.
the kind of notes that the brain is brewing,
but the ink can't breed.

they're making more noise than they should,
and sound like lyrics I keep forgetting to show you
and the rain.


but we found our spots in two chairs one day
with nimble hellos
and a conversation that broke your heart
and took the wall over your eyes with it.

we broke free.
knocked down all the barricades, 
sending our apologies with them.

we cried twice.
and spent the rest of our oxygen on laughter.

and 9 months
became 18 years of shared scars,
100 cures for every sadness,
98 knocks on the door,
370 lost breaths,
and enough poems to turn the sad music into our favorite playlist.

16 rainy days
and none of them made us cry.


you are important.

you are important because you're the face behind 5,107 words I wrote,
10,000 ideas I came up with,
10 pairs of bowling shoes and ice skates
and at least 1 mended heart.

you are 1 boy
man
person
human
character
lover
brother
son
piece of the puzzle

and I am part of you.

you're the face and the name behind every closed eye
and open heart
and these hands have seen 9 months of good weather
but the storm won't close in on me yet.

because you made a roof over me,
out of dinner receipts and aux cords,
and the smudge-your-letters kinds of tears.

you made a roof over me
with callouses on your palms.

but you made a roof over me
since you vowed
not to leave me
in the rain.

they might be watching as the windows shut,
but the door is still open
and I can hear your voice on the other end of my heartstrings.

let's lock lips one more time
before it becomes an infinite number of times.

because that's all this is.

the start of infinity.


and people are infinite.

goodbyes are not.


3 comments:

  1. I knew it was gonna be good from the title but WOW I didn't know it was gonna be that good. #number1champiomofeverypostever

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's lock lips one more time
    before it becomes an infinite number of times.

    That part made me wanna cry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me want to fall in love the way you did.

    ReplyDelete