fear

if you are afraid of sharks
then I'll walk you to the water.


if you fear friday nights
then I'll do saturday mornings.


if you are afraid of freeways and commuter lanes
then keep your hand off the gears
and make room for mine.


if you are afraid of insulting songs that taste bad on your tongue
then I'll change the album, darling,
but you have to dance with me.


if you're too scared to dodge curfew,
then I'll walk you to the door before the clock strikes 12
and if the darkness haunts you
I'll kiss you til we're both on fire.


if you're afraid of new adventures,
then pass the map this way
and free up a hand for me to hold.

and if you fear long hours,
I'll take the night shift.

if you're afraid of old lips and poetry trying to burn you
I'll write the words so hard 
it'll feel like one kiss ever mattered

and if you're afraid of all these years,
I'll seal our pinkies with a lock and throw the key into the Seine.




because if you fear the future
then throw your keys into the river, darling;


I'll make room for you in every couch and booth and car
until we find our way there.

1 comment:

  1. and if you're afraid of all these years,
    I'll seal our pinkies with a lock and throw the key into the Seine.

    because if you fear the future
    then throw your keys into the river, darling;

    Ok come on this is genius. Best part.

    ReplyDelete