do you?

do you remember the little mexican joint off Main Street? 
40 minutes past curfew, when you turned March into summer 
and the secrets were burning your tongue
so confessions fell off our shoulders.

there was snow on the ground, but my blood was warmer than the windshield.

the first time I sat shotgun in the same car where I left all my kisses.


do you remember the train?
I knew what you were thinking,
but I hid it under my jacket
so you wouldn't see the feelings tying our eyes together like strings.

do you remember the basement?
where your fabric gets caught under my fingertips 
and I'd rather watch your glance rotate around my face, 
avoiding the eyes and avoiding the eyes, 
and finally skimming the lips.

the place where time passes faster
and hands will never feel close enough.

do you remember my room?
because I remember yours.


the edge where you tie your shoes, next to the ceramic tile and a stack of boxes 
where you tuck your findings. 
There's a picture board where you paste your talents, 
and your cologne is on the dresser 
but your socks are on the floor.

I remember you.

I was barefoot in a dress 
and you were keeping me on my toes.

The boy I met past midnight in Baltimore, outside the laundromat
who kept finding me between hotel breakfasts and morning prayers.

You wrote me out on your windshield
and flowers kept showing up on my door;
anonymous admirers and heartbreak bouquets 
from the only people who know that 
flowers are my favorite.



do you remember me?
we closed our lips 
to make room for our futures,
but my kisses were in all your pockets and drawers
and our hearts grew down our sleeves.

do you remember me?
I loved you yesterday
and the day before
and tomorrow.

do you remember me?

I never left.

4 comments:

  1. I was barefoot in a dress
    and you were keeping me on my toes.

    K but really all of it come on

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote me out on the windshield.
    My blood was warmer than the windshield.
    I don't know why I like both the lines with the word "windshield" in them. That's weird. But this whole post. So beautiful. Loved the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was barefoot in a dress
    and you were keeping me on my toes."
    This just got to me. Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't pick one line because this was all so great. no great isn't a good enough word. this was all AMAZING (all caps adds more emphasis) but for reals, wow. i loved it.

    ReplyDelete