because 'I love you' isn't good enough

It isn't long enough,
or short enough,
or valid enough.

3 words
8 letters
enough to kick him in the groin
and catch her off guard
and girls have a tendency to close their eyes at boys who love them
until those boys realize it was petty love.

It was half-love.

It wasn't love.




Because 'I love you' isn't enough to sum up my feelings:
You have me putting flour in my hair
and watering my plants with juice
and you have me waking up one minute before the alarm goes off,
and your palms get sweaty
but I love you most with hat hair.

You pulled my analogies out
and made room on your heart and your couch,
and it lasts longer than 3 words and 8 letters.

You are more than 3 words and 8 letters.

Because 'I love you' isn't good enough,

I love physics.

I love putting a number on how far our lips are,
tagging a velocity on how fast you blink,
how high your laugh lines reach your eyes,
how many times you misspell her name.

I love chemistry
because I don't need any other reasons to love chemistry.



I love English.
I love the paper-mache poems you write,
reorganizing sentences so they turn me inside out,
leaving flowers in the form of new words
from the boy who always wanted to speak his mind
but got locked behind opinions
until his got too big 
for a cage.

I love you because we're always barefoot
with our journey across the eastern sea board
and Boston's in your eyes
but New York is on your shoulders
and I love you like the library in Manhattan,
where I used to pretend I was a college student,
and I made it my home before I made you my home.



I go home to you.

I wake up to you.

3 words and 8 letters can't speak my mind,
and 'I love you' isn't good enough,
but you never needed an explanation.

6 comments:

  1. I love putting a number on how far our lips are,
    tagging a velocity on how fast you blink,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really hit me... Thank you Addie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chemistry, because I don't need any other reasons to love chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I made it my home before I made you my home.
    i am dead

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love putting a number on how far our lips are,
    tagging a velocity on how fast you blink,
    how high your laugh lines reach your eyes,
    how many times you misspell her name.

    My Jaw was on the floor at these lines. damn. Can I write like you?

    ReplyDelete