promises: a list of

Take one if you feel so inclined.

I promise I'll go to Italy one day.
And I promise I'll find someone there whether or not they're with me.
I still want them to be with me, I promise.


And I promise to clean my room.
To put it in a box,
and I can't promise you dry eyes while I do that
but I promise to make a playlist for the occasion.

I promise to call when I get there
once the boxes come undone 
and the first hellos break the sound of cheap kitchen supplies
if you promise to answer the calls.

I promise to start over with new clay and new hands,
and I used to be too stubborn to start over
but I promise I still hold the sweatshirt at night
and the polaroids and little book light the corner desk
and I promise I'll read it.

And I'll give it back to you, I promise.

And I wish I could promise you a reimbursement for the ice cream
and I wish I could pay you back for the dirty shoes and clean eyes
but I promise your eyelashes are still long and you're much better at subtle writing.

But mama, I promise I'll be up in a second, and I promise 
these promises aren't half-full 
or quarter-full 
or gas-light-on-empty.


And we're two halves of the same unopened heartbreak that keeps regurgitating reminders
in the form of playlists and jackets and books on corner shelves.

My friends say I'm climbing a one-sided mountain and he's already left the campground
but I promise I've memorized the size of his pupils and the order of songs on the mixed tape
and he hasn't promised me anything
so maybe I should start listening to my friends.

They told me to climb down.

And I can't promise that their words aren't getting to me
but the weather is still good up here,
my bones are just starting to ache.

I promise I need reminders.
And replayed conversations.
And I don't need new songs on new playlists,
but I do need to know if it's worth locking pinkies
or if the boxes should close and the girl with spun gold hair 
should stop saying goodnight
and climb off of this mountain.


At least tell me if there's another side.

I promise I love the weight of shoulders and the curve of spines
and some of my words may be a hotter temperature than I intended
but it's only because my promises didn't come with a return policy.

I promise it's because
  I miss you and
you forgot to remind me that I was worth a promise.

5 comments:

  1. A to do list disguised as a promise list I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to live more. Like... It all just makes sense, even when I don't know what's going on and... I don't actually even know what I'm trying to say, tbh. Let's go with: your writing gives me life. That's pretty much the gist of it, I guess.
    "I promise I love the weight of shoulders and the curve of spines
    and some of my words may be a hotter temperature than I intended
    but it's only because my promises didn't come with a return policy."
    #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinky promises don't exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete