the insomniac bible

I want to say my prayers but something is clenching my jaw closed
and the only place my knees can find solace is at the foot of my bed
as if God sat me down there to ease my seasick brain.

And I'm not trying to make you religious
but if God is fighting for your soul
take the invitation and I'll meet you halfway.


I hate talking to bodies
but I don't mind whispering across quiet rooms to His
and I wonder if He hears me or if the teachers are all just spitting rumors.

And I still don't know why it rained on June 17, 
why fever medicine is distributed every 6 hours
who invented curse words and who was the first man offended by them
why coffee-stained menus aren't just garbage to some people
how candy corn got its name
or what the shape of the skies are going to be at twilight tonight,

but I know I cried harder than the skies did that June 17
and maybe it took 6 hours for God to make it to the edge of her sick bed
and I've laughed at too many curse words but wiped them off my slate once my knees found the bed,
and every note and movie ticket that should've been recycled keeps my anxiety at bay.



But Halloween has nothing on Christmas
and the sun will always be a sphere 
and the skies, even at their angriest, will never stop being rearranged like art.

Like God.


God let me fall asleep easy on June 17.
He took the fever in his left hand,
set the curse words on fire and watched them wither out of my skin,
and pushed the postcards from the foreigners into the mailbox.
And that's why candy corn is Papa's favorite
and the skies are a canvas
and we're walking through a gallery.


I'm not trying to make you religious
but God fought for my soul
facedown so the carpet could muffle the doubt
and all I had to do was let him win.

8 comments:

  1. God let me fall asleep easy on June 17.
    He took the fever in his left hand,
    set the curse words on fire and watched them wither out of my skin,
    and pushed the postcards from the foreigners into the mailbox.
    And that's why candy corn is Papa's favorite
    and the skies are a canvas
    and we're walking through a gallery.

    Whoa...#top5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy flip yes top 5 and holy flip yes and YES THE SKY oh yes-again, I have no intelligent words to say but um...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to add this to my collection of scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredbile. Your posts always getting me feeling something and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely. Breathtakingly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Halloween has nothing on Christmas
    and the sun will always be a sphere
    and the skies, even at their angriest, will never stop being rearranged like art.

    Like God.

    Geez maybe I should've went to Provo with you

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me cry (partly because I cry a lot and partly just because you are Addison Lamb). I want new posts every day, but I guess that isn't realistic. But really. You couldn't be better if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too good. You are a poet, and I've never said this before, you are amazing at structure. I know that isn't romantic, but you are amazing at structure.

    ReplyDelete