the plague of 8:08pm

I was 6 days late,
overdue like some library book,
6 extra days of pregnancy that she still blames me for.

The results say I have an 'undersized' stomach organ,
but that never coincided with my appetite.
And people prod at 103 pounds of small bones,
but they weren't on the other end of those phone calls from the 'concerned mom's' that saw a ninth-grade shutout inhaling anorexia.

'Concerned mom's' don't know how many nachos I inhaled before soccer practice.
My brain wasn't sick, my body was.

is*


I fell on the edge of the sidewalk, bleeding out against black tar,
while my brother pressed his heels against the damage and left me there, facedown,
without a phone call to my name.

My brother left me bleeding on a sidewalk.

I guess his headache couldn't take it.

I spent my 18th birthday on the side of the road, alone,
with my head against the cement,
a mixture of prayers and profanities.

I hit that same head against a wall for hours, all because a girl once said it was impossible not to get a 3.0 GPA. 
I should've been proud of myself for the junior high anxiety that achieved 'the impossible'.


But all I heard was her crooning kindness reassuring me that I was a ring on the finger of failure.

That was before the bottle of pills punctured the disability,
after the ski passes expired,
when prayers & profanities won the war against depression.

And a 2.7 became a 4.0 and that 4.0 got rejected.

I wonder if the barrier between our lungs will ever fall down.
I wonder if we'll ever stop competing with our apologies,

I've only ever been sorry for people.

One of them being myself.


Without rhyme or reason,
while people in the Middle East died over a handful of love,
while foreign language found words that punctured hearts,
and mothers watched caskets sink,
and fathers washed money down with alcohol, 
and poisoned their houses,
I was sorry for my wash bucket of pills & the friendless birthday party I planned, alone.

The selfish side of me died when I bit hard and broke my teeth.

They're not growing back,
but I don't want them anymore.

9 comments:

  1. So please tell me you're planning on submitting something to the book because your writing is too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, even though I know you have music that starts without warning, this past time when it started it scared me so bad I jumped and started to cry, if you're wondering how long my weekend has been.

      Delete
  2. This is incredible and I felt so close to you. It's like you not only opened up but you took us inside against our will. "overdue like some library book," "a ring on the finger of failure" I don't know how you come up with your analogies but they are Brilliant. Every time.

    also "and that 4.0 got rejected." I'm sorry. I don't know how that happened. It shouldn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were a guy, I'd probably be in love with you. Your writing is almost too good. Standing o for Jackie O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm sorry I always comment. And I'm sorry I keep saying your new posts are my favorite, but this is one of them. This is Amazing. I'll just copy and paste the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the barrier between our lungs will ever fall down.

    YOU WILL NEVER STOP BEING GREAT.

    honestly how

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry. Prayers and profanities. This is gold. This is Mt. Everest. It's like your words are arms that reach further than an ocean. I feel this strong connection even though we're strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel this in too many ways. Seriously though. Thanks bud

    ReplyDelete